This blog is for those who are around me to share my world

Reflections and thoughts I have gathered for myself during my 9-month stay in China. I hope this blog will be able to bless each and everyone of you in what ever ways that God wants it to be. "What is enriching to the eyes will be enriching to the mind, and what is enriching to the mind will in turn be enriching to the soul." - Natalie

Wednesday 6 June 2007

heaven and hell

oh, back to my typical singaporean lifestyle in China!

i must really really thank my 2 friends who allowed this to happen, nana and xiuxiang. really thank them for being there with me in this beijing trip. a short break from the toughness of travel and enjoy this place like a typical tourist.

its about shopping and eating everyday! during my past 2 weeks of stay in beijing, i have experienced "heaven". the heaven of big and classy shopping malls, clean and fragrant toilets with lockable doors. ok, beside the doors, they have TVs inside the toilets! the shopping malls served 'bread talk' bread, Din Tai Feng, haagen daz ice cream and many many other luxurious food. i was so excited to see all these placing in front of me after been in other more remote parts of china. however, i was also quite shocked with my reactions. afterall, i came from a place where such things are part of my life. what have i become? why do i have such great reactions?

well, i wonder how many percent of the chinese population will get to see and experience such luxurious city life?well, as i was happily indulging myself in my shopping frenzy, i was reminded of the villagers and the country people i came across throughout my travel here. i wonder if they know there is such a "heavenly" place in their country? or i should i say, the place they belongs to is already a heaven to them. maybe for them , such a city place could be hell instead? well, although their living conditions are much poorer than beijingers' lifestyles, and they cannot enjoy what is so called "comfort", i still think that their "comfort" items might come in different forms? the blue skies above their heads and the fresh air they breath in everyday?

i thought it make a difference to person born in China or singapore or africa, because, it will make a difference to that person's life. however, now i also see the great difference being born in beijing or in other parts of the china, or even in the remote village in guizhou. it will make a difference in their lifestyle, their education and what they see as important in their lives.

for example, the value of 1 RMB n beijing and in a village could be different. 1 RMB spent in beijing could the sum of money a farmer can get while selling his tomatoes. i have spent over hundreds of RMB shopping for bags and clothes and this sum of money could be the farmer's monthly salary, provided that can sell off their entire plot of vegetables. that is how great the difference in money in china itself.

i couldn't have possibly think of all these when i am back in singapore, spending my money in buying clothes, or even just to buy bread or indulge in NYDC. however, i dunno why, but after my stay in this country long enough, i will think the other side. but then again, this is life. whatever is it, life still goes on and all i have to do is to appreciate what i am having with me.

what seems precious to a person can be a piece of trash in another persons's eyes.

No comments:

Some where over the rainbow...

Some where over the rainbow...