This blog is for those who are around me to share my world

Reflections and thoughts I have gathered for myself during my 9-month stay in China. I hope this blog will be able to bless each and everyone of you in what ever ways that God wants it to be. "What is enriching to the eyes will be enriching to the mind, and what is enriching to the mind will in turn be enriching to the soul." - Natalie

Tuesday 12 June 2007

Splashed the money on the tables, would you?

i am very very amazed at how the chinese spent their money in building relationships. it is not surprising at all to see how the chinese officials can spend a bomb in displaying the table with flashy food, food that i never thought i am going to have for my trip here.

i was in Dali with some Singaporean friends who came by to establish contacts with the chinese officials here. they were here for YEP projects - to improve the school's teaching standard and syllubus, which ultimately, to improve the lives of the kids in the school. i was honored to meet up with them and we traveled up to meet the education department officials together. din expect my choice to be such a 'fulfiling' one and indeed, it fufills the needs of my stomach.

every day, every meal, we just sat around the tables with at least 10 dishes spread in front of my eyes. food ranged from vegetarian dishes to donkey's meat....

and after every meal, there will sure be food left over, which is the least surprising....

well, heard from them that when they host guests, there must be leftover food, so as to show signs of prosperity and abundance and most importantly, to let the guests feel that they have more to give. but deep inside my heart, i ask myself, more to give to who? to us? who already had so much in life, or to those who need more?

so as i watch the waitress clearing up the food, i think of the ironic scenes of these education officials savouring pieces of donkey's meat, whereas the children from the schools are still chewing on the grasses.

and the reason we are all working towards: "to improve the life of the students".

somehow, it very difficult for me to picture the above words in my mind upon seeing all these. i wonder if i am being too cynical?

No comments:

Some where over the rainbow...

Some where over the rainbow...