This blog is for those who are around me to share my world

Reflections and thoughts I have gathered for myself during my 9-month stay in China. I hope this blog will be able to bless each and everyone of you in what ever ways that God wants it to be. "What is enriching to the eyes will be enriching to the mind, and what is enriching to the mind will in turn be enriching to the soul." - Natalie

Tuesday 12 June 2007

there are many ways to see a problem

i thought i have abundance of time with me. everyday just past and somehow, i have lost the ability to count time. while on this journey, there were times when i felt that my time ticked very slowly and i wish it could move a bit faster. and there were times when time flew past so fast just like a thief who creep past me every night without me realising. and when i come to my senses, i realised that i have been away from home for 6 months!

it is so amazing how time expand and contract while i am still unconscious. i realised that its about time i have to fulfill my promise to my parents, that is, to return home by august.

during my stay in beijing, i was indeed quite restless. i was actually planning to go over to mongolia and hope my trip would be confirmed at least by end of this week. however, things do not work out the way i wanted it to be. it has been 2 weeks since i last wanted to move on to other places. and i am still at the same place. now i have a problem...where shall i go on next? with my limited time on my hands, i have to chase for time now!

and as i stay around in beijing and waiting for my trip, so as time slowly ticked past, the thoughts of "wasting time" kept appearing in my head. therefore, i was so caught up with planning and calling up the contact person, that i began to fail myself terribly. i ended up getting more flustered and agitated.

i kept wanting to visit more places and i have not been to those places i set off to visit. well, "it would be a waste" i kept rattering that sentence in my head.

suddenly, on fine day, my friend xiuxiang told me, "Dun you think you are too greedy?" i was struck by her words. and so , i decided to take a long walk in the streets of beijing from her house to Tian'an square. its about 3 hours walk. and as i walked i saw so many things happening on the streets, people rushing on and off from work, hawkers and vendors selling BBQ mutton sticks.

then it dawned on me that no time is wasted indeed. i was so blinded with my own needs, my personal fustrations and the issues of time, that i fail to see the joy of just doing nothing in her house, watching DVDs and reading and her companionship. i am actually happy that i am spending time with her, listening to her complains at work and watching japanese animation with her till 5 am in the morning. and now when i looked back, i can feel the joy of her company, when we go and buy potted plants together, shopping for groceries and eating late night suppers at those weird hours of 2am in the mornings. and so, how i can say that my time is wasted? how stupid am i to be blinded from the joy resting and just doing nothing.

i only came to that realisation after i settled down in a nice cafe in the city area in Beijing. as i sat down to rest my weary legs with a hot latte and hot walnut scones. it is so therapeutic just to walk and walk through the streets of beijing.

and so, the following day i took the walk again, this time, using a totally different route, but getting to the exact same place. then i see the point of getting to one place using different routes.well, there are actually many different combinations of routes just to get to that point. you could walk straight and turn off at the next junction, or turn at the first junction, then walked straight etc...just like statistics, there are many many computations.

by using differnt routes, i saw different things and experienced different feelings. its always so refreshing. and i realised that only that i just have to settle within myself to see what i want to see and tune in to the correct beat, then i would be able to see what i want to see and experience it with my heart.

God has taught me an important lesson in this episode of 'waiting game'. that, there are many ways to get to a destination, just like, so many ways to settle a problem. its important not to be blinded by what is so-called the 'one and only'. and i thank God for opening my eyes and my heart to witness the essence of time instead of the physical value.

and so, even if i did not get to where i want eventually, the journey of getting there is such a joy. with this, i really thank you my friend, for adopting me during my stay in beijing. that really save a lot of cost in terms of finding a lodging. and i really really enjoy my this 3 weeks of stay with you and your friendship. and i have learned something from you too! thank you xiuxiang!


ps: i was in Hard Rock cafe yesterday night, listening to their live band while sipping beers and eating peanuts. such a joy!

No comments:

Some where over the rainbow...

Some where over the rainbow...