This blog is for those who are around me to share my world

Reflections and thoughts I have gathered for myself during my 9-month stay in China. I hope this blog will be able to bless each and everyone of you in what ever ways that God wants it to be. "What is enriching to the eyes will be enriching to the mind, and what is enriching to the mind will in turn be enriching to the soul." - Natalie

Wednesday 6 June 2007

My first flight experience

Being a stingy and a super-low budget backpacker, spending money on transport should be of the lowest cost. However, I have decided to make a choice to fly to Beijing from Kunming instead of taking a train.
-------
Reason: it will take me 40 hours by train with a cost of 580 RMB, and by flying over, I just need 3 hours and a cost of 760RMB (it was on a 65% discount!)
------
And so of course, I will not save that 200 RMB for that 37 hours difference in time.
I realised that China is so humungous! That the time taken to fly from Kunming to Beijing is almost the same as the time taken to fly from Kunming back to Singapore! Wow! Amazingly big country and I felt amazingly small at the same time!
------
It is so funny and ironic to know that it doesn’t mean that your life will be much better by taking a plane to somewhere. My flight to Beijing was delayed for 4 hours before it took off. So, I have to spend 4 hours sitting in the waiting lounge and waiting for the staff for announcement.
I was told initially that because there is a change in the direction of the wind and so, the plane cannot take off as that side was covered with mountains. Also, the plane was overloaded and they requested some of us to move out from the plane to catch the next flight. later than I realised that they have actually over sold the tickets and now trying to do some damaged control, which is lying to them about the wind conditions and hope that some of them will change to another flight.
------
I was reminded of my journey in Xishuangbanna, where my bus was delayed for 4 hours due to some landslides. So, once again, unexpected things do happen and I have learned to pace myself for that. Although I am taking it quite well (because I think I dun really have very urgent meetings to catch..etc), that did not go the same for the locals.It is so amusing to see how the locals made a big fuss out of this matter. They were banging tables, asking for explanations, which proceed with demanding certain compensations from the airline company. Some of them were asking to see the manager or "the person with the highest authority". While some aunties were crowding around, and checking out what's going on. Its so funny when more and more "educated" people (with coat and ties) joined in the argument, whereas the ignorant aunties just nod their heads to whatever the protestors demands. Well, even though things get heated, we still have to wait for the plane to fly. There's still nothing we can do.
-------
It was like watching a live comedy show. I saw how flustered looking these passengers were, how angry they were, and at the same time, I pitied those who have meetings to catch and those with their loved ones waiting anxiously at Beijing airport for their loved ones to come. Well, although it can be quite depressing to know that no one will be waiting for me at the airport, I am also happy that I dun have to waste the time of others or letting that person wait for as long as I am over here.
------
Their damaged control: I got to eat my airline meals in the waiting lounge. I guess it was because the passengers were demanding for compensation, such as food. (ps: our flight supposed to fly at 630pm) and so, the ever-smart airline company sent in many expressionless and indifferent air-stewardess (who have now became land-stewardess) and dished out our flight meals to us in the waiting lounge.So, I was there, squatting down against the window pane in the crowded and non-air conditioned waiting lounge, having my flight meal (fried chicken noodles) and drinking my orange juice. Outside of that window pane, I could see planes flying in and out of the airport, but not my plane.

Here's my airline food....on the floor of the waiting hall.
-----
I realised that I have grown more accustomed to the system here in China after been here for such a long time. I was the least surprise when I get to know that they over-sold the tickets. Well, that’s part and parcel of traveling around and I just have to smile at it and wait patiently for my plane to come and pick me up.
------
Finally, I get on board and flew over to Beijing. Thank God that I was sitting next to a very nice aunty who kept rattering about the incident to me and once again, I can exercise myself as being a good listener. While she was still rattering, I got distracted by a fly....saw a fly flew past and stopped at the window. I thought I was dreaming because after so many years of flying, I did not remember seeing a housefly on a plane?!
-------
Haha, that was kind of funny though, I thought I could complain about a fly in my soup if I am going to have my in-flight meal on board.
-------
As I touched down at Beijing international airport at 1 am, a cluster of passengers behind me refused to alight from the plane. They were demanding to see the manager on board and the pilot. Sigh...as if they can do anything.
--------
And so, my weary body said 'Hi' to Beijing, the capital of China! Here I am, ready for the next series of challenges coming up....

No comments:

Some where over the rainbow...

Some where over the rainbow...